Another week, another week of gaming news. Gamesland News features the latest news in one, easy-to-read format.
– US Game Retailer Gamestop now fingerprints people who trade in games, as an added security measure in case the traders stole the games.
– 2 Naughty Dog developers, more specifically their lead game designer (Jacob Minkoff) and narrative design lead (Taylor Kurosaki), have left the studio to work for Infinity Ward, developers of the Call of Duty franchise. Minkoff will be undertaking the role of design director, while Kurosaki will become a narrative director.
– Critically acclaimed FPS Bioshock is coming to iOS, but that’s the only detail. There’s no evidence to suggest that it will be an FPS, but it has been confirmed that it will be a one-time purchase with no micro-transactions.
– Artist Juli Adams is suing toy company Hartz. The brief version is that Hartz approached Adams to create a range of toys, which she called ‘Angry Birds’, back in the mid-2000s. Hartz then created the ‘Angry Birds’ trademark, and then ditched Adams, entered a partnership with Rovio, who developed the Angry Birds mobile franchise, then based their toys around the game sprites. The catch is that Adams was promised that the ownership would not be transferred, so now she is suing Hartz, but not Rovio.
– The other Assassin’s Creed game this year, for PS3 and Xbox 360 only, is called Assassin’s Creed Rogue, in which you get to play as the bad guys of the series, the Templars.
– Resident Evil is being remade in HD for PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, and PC, with a release date of early 2015.
– Streaming service Twitch has started implementing YouTube-like crackdowns on music in videos, although the service is still in its early stages. At the moment, any music that is flagged will mute the video for 30 minutes, although Twitch has said that a better system is in the works. At the moment, there is also no way to appeal, but this will be a feature in the new system. Perhaps all this has to do with the reports of Google finalising the payment of US $1 billion dollars for twitch?
– Casey Hudson, project director on games such as Knights of the Old Republic, and the entire Mass Effect series, has left Bioware.
– Leave them in the comments and I’ll do my best to answer them!
That’s all the news for this week, but come back next Friday (15/08/14) for more news from the Land of Gaming.